Overcoming Fear- Shifting into Fearlessness
“Love is what we are born with, Fear is what we learn here”
Fear is the partner of the Ego. Fear is an exaggerated form of reality that tilts toward the negative, separate and isolated. There is no trust or connection. Fear is reliant on ego-centrism and keeps one in patterns which fuel the false self (ego).
The underlying emotion of all negative emotions is fear. It is the foundation of all emotions that leave us feeling separate from Source energy. To reconnect with love, one must stop focusing on self and focus on service.
The Voice of the Ego Versus the Soul
- The ego is logical, mind-oriented energy, it lives in the past or the future. Soul is creative, based on the present moment and it lives in communion with the divine and lives with the pull of the soul rather than the push of the ego.
- The ego is fear based. The ego always questions and doubts. It wonders will I survive, will I be accepted etc. Soul is based in love, it is trust, surrender and faith. The more one opens to faith the more miracles occur in life. Guidance from the soul is given one step at a time.
- The ego sounds harsh. It is critical, judgmental and there are many “should” in its language. Intuition/love/soul is neutral. It receives messages on a steady and consistent basis without judgment.
- The ego is self-serving. Whereas, the soul feels the need to serve others.
“The moment you have no fear, when you are fearless and revenge less, you are the living God.” – Yogi Bhajan
To Overcome Fear Writing Exercise:
- Expose the fear, write it down, tell someone about it.
- Face the discomfort, feel it and allow yourself to be vulnerable (the ego wants to hide- expose it) .
- Witness what is happening, observe the sensations
- Embrace the fear, and make a commitment to move past it
- See all of the possibilities (what other options there are) and see the insanity of the fear.
- Call in love- Forgive yourself and express gratitude and compassion.
Techniques to Manage Fear:
- Pranayama: strengthen the Pranic body to keep the energy balance in the body so that one is not overcome with stress, anxiety and fear.
- Focusing on service rather than on ones own gains. (help’s to release feelings of pressure and self importance)
- Observe the sensations in the body and maintaining a neutral state of mind through meditation. Accept whatever arises. As well, noticing where fear is being held in the body and use the breath to release it.
- Practice mindfulness and awareness to become aware of what fears are causing disruption in your life and what your triggers are.
- When fear grips the body, practice long deep breathing to release the anxiety.
- Do something everyday that scares you and brings you out of your comfort zone.
Here is a 3 minute meditation you can do whenever you want to help release fear: